Re: Win2k and cygwin memory leak

Assuming you're right - and I have no reason to think otherwise, using
cygwin in a memory
intensive fashion does indeed fragment the memory. *cygwin's problem?*  OK
- I'm being
persuaded it isn't - as such. After playing with it some over the last few
hours, I found that the problem is MUCH
worse on NT4 than W2K. (NT4 was my only platform 11 months ago when the
problem was first
discoverd.) Basically NT4 degrades very quickly and I have yet to see it
recover without RAMpage.
W2K degrades also, but if left alone long enough, appears to recover on its
own "eventually".
The *eventually* is the key thing since if the memory fragments "fast
enough" - I can cripple the box
before the OS recovers on its own. This is where RAMpage is useful on W2K.
Perhaps there
is a registry or ini setting that one could tweak to force OS defragmenting
earlier. It's all pretty new
to me. The question is, is this fragmenting and defragging an unavoidable
and inevitable side effect, or can
it be managed from within an application? Can some of this be controlled
with the cygwin daemon of the future?
Anyhow, I too am weary of this thread and since I'm not a c/c++ programmer,
I've exhausted
most of the resources I can use on this question. Nevertheless, if others
find RAMpage helps them to
use cygwin more robustly than without, especially on older OS's like NT4
and win98, then a
mention in the FAQ I think would be quite helpful. But I would think more
feedback
and experience from a wider cross section of folks would be needed first.

Brian Kelly

"Christopher Faylor" <cgf-idd@cygwin.com>@cygwin.com on 08/08/2003 11:15:36
AM

Please respond to cygwin@cygwin.com