Re: Information regarding problem when Windows cannot re-use PID numbers

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 07:40:57PM +0200, Yorick Koster wrote:
> >Rogier & I have been busy trying to isolate the memory leak problem we
> >have encountered on Win2k machines. A lot of people on this list have
> >suggested this is in fact a Win2k problem. We have indeed verified this
> >is indeed not a CygWin issue, but I am not totally convinced this is a
> >Windows problem. The following command can be used to reproduce the leak:
> >
> >FOR /L %a IN (1,1,65535) DO echo exit | cmd
>
> The above would certainly rule out cygwin then since there isn't any cygwin
> component.
>
> Does RAMpage "fix" this problem, assuming you can even run it?  If so,
> that would indicate a memory fragmentation problem rather than a lack
> of memory problem.

I have tried the RAMpage "fix", however it does not seem to work. When ever I
run RAMpage, it does seem to slow down the process, but eventually all memory
will become unavailable for newly started processes. Uninstalling Outpost
actually did the trick.

Regards,
Yorick