Re: how to become a package maintainer?

I'm pretty sure you'll be welcome among the packaging crew. All you have to
do to become a packager is:
* subscribe to cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
* propose the package (i.e. write a mail with subject
  [ITP] libvorbis
  and in the contents what libvorbis is (don't expect us to know even though
  we do most of the time) where to find the canonical version, and why you'd
  like to see it in the distro.
* wrap up the package (read http://cygwin.com/setup.html)
* propose somewhere for the other packagers to download your package to test it
* wait for votes and hope there's no veto
* wait for reviews and fix whatever needs fixing.

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 03:33:32PM +0200, Sven Köhler wrote:
> - how to install files with "make install" in another directory than
> root? i don't want to select all the files that belong to binary package
> by hand.
./configure --prefix=/usr
make install DESTDIR=/path/to/destdir

you probably won't need any of this if you use method 2 for packaging and this
will of course only work if the Makefile and configury support it.

> - how do i build DLLs? i could compile libao, libogg and libvorbis but i
> only get *.la and *.a files but no *.dll like i would expect. i thought
> that this would be managed by autoconf/configure somehow, but it isn't
> as it seems.
It's managed by libtool, but you may have to re-libtoolize. If the packs are not
libtoolized, you'll have to tamper with the Makefile and/or configury to get it
done.

In any case, if you need more specific help, you'll need to ask more specific
questions *here* at cygwin proper.

HTH

rlc

--
"The IETF motto is 'rough consensus and running code'"

  -- Scott Bradner (Open Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)