Re: cron and network drives

Elfyn McBratney wrote:
Andrew DeFaria <ADeFaria@Salira.com> wrote:

Andrew DeFaria wrote:

Larry Hall wrote:

Hard to say exactly with the information given. My WAG is that the user from whom you're running the cron job for is logged in and authenticated by Windows on the second machine when cron runs but not on the first machine.

Only one user is in use on both machines. In fact I accessed both machines using remote desktop logged in as that user. The crontab is that same user, etc.

This is assuming the share is not public, which would mean you have a completely different (network) problem on the first machine.

Could you please describe exactly what is a "public" share, what is not a public share (I assume that would be a private share) and how does one tell the difference? Also, assuming that in the case that works it works because it's a public share and in the case that doesn't work it fails because it's a private share then how do I go about changing the private share to a public share?

I really wish that somebody would address this issue once and for all. I often here such things as a "public mount" but to date nobody has ventured a guess as to what a "public mount" would be and how it would differ from a "non public mount". I think I have a situation here that clearly shows that something is odd whereas on one machine a mounted drive is available via cron and on another machine it is not. Both machines are setup nearly identically with the same user (in the same domain though geographically separated by thousands of miles). The only difference I see is that the versions of Cygwin and cron are different.

I think Larry is actually speaking shares here, not mounts.

Quite right.  I don't know where Andrew got "public mount".  The text
he quoted from my response to his original inquiry uses "public share",
not "public mount".

A "public share" is a 'Windows thing'.  It isn't a 'Cygwin thing'.  It's a
share that allows unprivileged/unauthenticated users access.  Setting it up
simply means adding users of this type (i.e. 'Guest') to the share's
permission list.  I don't know if this explains Andrew's situation or not.
I'm still a bit mystified though why he's so hung up on this "public
share" issue.  I thought it was put to bed the last time he asked in
this thread:

<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-01/msg00659.html>

If none of this resolves the issue though, Elfyn's suggestion of comparing
the output of cygcheck for the two machines is a good one.  Or his general
thoughts on debugging of cron is also worthwhile.  Otherwise, I guess the
only other option is to fire up the debugger and see what's going on.

Holliston, MA 01746