ssh problem with $HOME

Hi,

When attempting a "cvs update" using over the ssh protocol (well, you
know what I mean ;), I get the following error:

  $ cvs up
  Could not create directory '/home/Gavin Sinclair/.ssh'.

That is surprising, because:

  $ echo $HOME
  /home/gavin

I have read the manpage, /usr/doc/*, googled, and searched the
archives, but found nothing.  The manpage (ssh), in particular, says
that $HOME/.ssh is where the heart is, so I suspect a Cygwin nuance.
Of course cvs is involved here, but I doubt it's having any influence.

Does anybody know what might be going on?

Thanks,
Gavin