Re: How to compile static to avoid the need for cygwin1.dll

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Ivan Hernandez wrote:

> Hello! i'm trying searchs in google to find info on how to compile
> statically linked binary files on cugwin in order to avoid the need of
> having cygwin1.dll with my programs. I need it because some people is
> alergic to thing that don't understand, and i will not code twice things
> that are already done in *nix and compiles with cygwin!
> Please, if someone knows something better than the old -static thing for
> the gcc let me know!
>
> Ivan Hernandez

Ivan,

Cygwin doesn't support static linkage with the Cygwin runtime functions.
If you want to build applications that are independent of Cygwin, you may
try using MinGW (by installing the gcc-mingw packages and passing the
"-mno-cygwin" flag to gcc).  Be aware, though, that you won't get full
POSIX emulation with MinGW.  See <http://mingw.org/> for details.  Please
report any resulting MinGW problems to the mingw-users list.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu