Re: Cygwin 1.5.3 issues

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Gerry Reno wrote:

> --- Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
> > On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Gerry Reno wrote:
> >
> > >   This week I upgraded to Cygwin 1.5.3 from 1.3.18 and when I run
> > > cygcheck I'm seeing these things:
> > >
> > > <it seems everything under apache is reported as missing>
> > > (I do have apache2 installed under /usr/local/apache2.  Maybe that
> > > is cause of problem???)
> >
> > Missing in what sense?
>
> In the sense that cygcheck -c is reporting a huge list of missing files
> under
>
> Missing file: /etc/apache.new/...
> Missing file: /var/www.new/...
>
> These directories do not exist on my system.

Aha, I see the problem.

> > If you moved the files after installing them via Cygwin setup and now
> > they are reported as "missing" by "cygcheck -c", then this is expected
> > behavior (also see below).
>
> Files were not moved after Cygwin setup.  I also selected to install
> Apache2.

Yes, they were indeed moved, but not in the way that you were aware of.
The postinstall script for apache actually renamed those directories to
/etc/apache and /var/www respectively.  The integrity checking routine in
cygcheck is too simple-minded[*] to figure out that the files were moved
during postinstall, so it reports them as missing.  My guess is you'll
probably have to live with this until cygcheck is smarter.  Sorry.  The
good news, though, is that, AFAIK, apache is the only package whose
postinstall script thus misbehaves.
	Igor
P.S. FYI, apache2 has nothing to do with this.

[*] In fact, I can't really see *how* even a smart cygcheck could figure
this out without cooperation from the package postinstall script itself.
This requires further thought.  Feel free to contribute suggestions or,
better yet, code. ;-)
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu