Re: Cygwin Win-stall on 98, SSH to Mandrake won't run GUI

The easiest solution is to install the rxvt package and use it instead of "Cygwin Bash Shell" in the start menu.

You'll need to create a shortcut to rxvt. I use this as my shortcut target:
C:\Cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -rv -geometry 80x40 -fn "Lucida Console" +sb -sl 1024 -e /usr/bin/bash --login -i

An alternative solution is to configure the termcap or terminfo on the remote host to recognize the cygwin terminal type.

Botl J. Rokit wrote:

I will be apologizing to Cygwin-XFree list, because I sent a message to you by accident. I apologize for spamming.

Everyone, I hate to ask you this, but I'm just too green. Before we get into the rightful rattletrap about GUI crutches, my end users are all Win-dependent, and anything that I can remotely kick off and force their hand at is more beautiful than you'd ever know.

I have installed Cygwin on a Windows 98 and 2000 computer (twice over, two different boxes), and have been able to command-prompt over to my new Mandrake Linux 9.1 computers. I can even get to root, of course! I simply can't get the GUI to come up, when I attempt to run things like MCC (Mandrake Control Center). I get this message:

Unknown terminal: cygwin
Check the TERM environment variable.
Also make sure that the terminal is defined in the terminfo database.
Alternatively, set the TERMCAP environment variable to the desired
termcap entry.
tset: unknown terminal type cygwin
Terminal type?

Now at this point, I get to enter either "cygwin" (which ends up saying, again, "Unknown terminal: cygwin") or "vt100" (just to shut it up). At that point, I get a remark that says

Erase is backspace.

And that's that. Being incredibly new, I'm not even certain *where* to look. I can say, however, that I *suspect* that it's because I haven't defined something on either of my linux b0x3n. And that I'm a total newbie.

Thanks for the help. Seriously.

Eric Geater
Botl J. Rokit