Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] NEW: mingw-zlib-1.1.4-4

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:30:08AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

I don't mean to speak for Chuck but, after some discussion, it's
intended to be a separate package.  The intent was to not put a zlib
directory in winsup, which would be the case with mingw-runtime.  Ditto
for the gcc sources.

So basically this means that everyone wanting to compile Cygwin from CVS or source tarball will have to install this package, right?

If they want this functionality, yes.

Yes. Currently, the package is in the 'Mingw' group (for lack of anything better). I considered putting it into 'Base' for this very reason -- but since the cygwin utilities will no doubt link statically, they don't really need the DLL at runtime. Just at link time.

But that means that zlib-mingw is no different than many other tools you need "for additional functionality" when building cygwin. gettext-devel, for recompiling the msg catalogs. texinfo, for recompiling the texinfo docs, and other whole suites of tools for the sgml documentation...

As far as the name, there are a few packages with mingw-ish tendencies:

gcc-mingw
mingw-runtime
w32api

Seeing no real pattern, I chose mingw-zlib.

And yes, this is intended to be a separate package. cgf & I talked about simply adding the libraries to the existing zlib package, but I didn't like that, since I felt it would overly complicate my release procedure.

Adding them to the existing mingw-runtime or gcc-mingw package didn't come up, but as cgf has already explained, that solution has its own problems.

--
Chuck