From: Olivier ALLART <olivier.allart@speeq.com>
To: Cygwin List <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: SSHD, Cygwin and Windows 2003 : continued with user rights
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 01:22:48 +0200

Larry Hall wrote:

Hm, I thought I was clear.  Let me try again addressing iisreset
specifically.

iisreset doesn't work in the scenario you described because it's a Microsoft tool which knows nothing of the Cygwin environment. Cygwin's ssh using pubkey authentication doesn't authenticate the user with Windows. So if
you need certain credentials to perform some operation in Windows, pubkey
authentication won't provide them.

Ok. I tought ssh offered some mechanism trough cygwin to authenticate as if under windows ..
That means the 'administrator' account via ssh pubkey is not 'administrator' then ..

If you need to run iisreset through ssh,
you will need to use password authentication, which takes the password for the user 'administrator' and authenticates for Windows with it. You should
then be able to use iisreset (if authentication is really the only thing
getting in the way with pubkey).

yes it is, since it is working with ssh connection (using password on login) when sshd runs under 'local system'

I don't know what are the "*some commands*" you're speaking of, but if they are Cygwin utilities, then I think the answer is obvious. If they are not Cygwin utilities, then I would have to say that they don't require special privileges to run. This is actually true for most utilities. But if this is still confusing for you, you'll have to provide specifics. However, I think you'll find that it's likely that anything that works for you in ssh using pubkey authentication falls into one of the two groups of utilities I mentioned.

and you are probably right.
other commands are for example 'wlbs' (or nlb).
My problem is : I want to execute some remote (but encrypted) commands using both wlbs and iisreset.
wlbs works fine from remote, but so is not for IISreset.
I thought authentication using ssh and public key would allow me to perform the iisreset command..
But from what you explained; it is clear that whatever user logs in with pubkey, it won't be considered as 'administrator'
It looks like iisreset can only be performed *locally* by *local administrator*, which is dumb in the situation where you are from remote. Only other remote control would be 'telnet' but hey, ms telnet can't pertform remote commands.

Last question; if I provided a pubkey in the 'administrator' (cygwin) environment, who am I for windows ?

Thank you very much.
Next I guess I'll go look for some tip on how to unlock iisreset so it can be used by whatever admin and not just local ..

HTH,

Larry