Re: getopt: ugly linker messages

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

Since that auto-import is working fine for a long while now and since
this sort of auto-import is normal for any other platform... isn't there
a time we can get rid of that message?

auto-import is not the default for all pei386 versions of binutils, particularly mingw.

And auto-import is in no way "normal". It provides functionality that, on the surface, appears to emulate the normal behavior of other platforms -- but under the hood, it's a bizzarre beast.

So, taking those two points into consideration, I'm not sure what the right thing to do is, without ticking somebody on some platform off. The current compromise seems to be mostly acceptable.

Perhaps a cygwin-special (e.g. doesn't go back to binutils CVS) patch? In that case, it's a one-liner -- just change the default value of link_info.pei386_auto_import to '1' instead of '-1' in pe.em (you might also need to change the default in ldmain.c, but I don't think that's necessary.)

--
Chuck