Re: getopt: ugly linker messages

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 11:18:03AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 09:49:25AM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >Perhaps a cygwin-special (e.g. doesn't go back to binutils CVS) patch?
> >In that case, it's a one-liner -- just change the default value of
> >link_info.pei386_auto_import to '1' instead of '-1' in pe.em (you might
> >also need to change the default in ldmain.c, but I don't think that's
> >necessary.)
>
> I'm willing to do this but I have the same reservations that I think
> you're expressing above, Chuck.  Also, the auto-import of data variables
> is slower than a normal dllimport so I don't feel real comfortable about
> making this the default.
>
> I don't feel really strongly about this however, so if the consensus is
> that this should be turned on, I'll make a cygwin-specific change to
> binutils.

No need.  It's just a bit annoying.

However, isn't that an error in binutils?  If I have

  extern int __declspec(dllimport) foo;

and 100 lines later I have a

  extern int foo;

why is then the information about the __declspec removed?  Shouldn't
that information be kept?  AFAIK, the "extern" storage class shouldn't
change any information already known about the variable in question.
It should complain about e.g. conflicting types but it should never
change what's already there.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.