Re: feature requests for setup

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, peter garrone wrote:

> Hi, I thought I would note some desirable features in setup
> that would save dickheads such as myself much time.
>
> - Have setup check with the mirror to see if the setup program itself
>    has been upgraded. For people who dont read announcements.

It already does that.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC>.  Also see below.

> - That "packages" directory default. Sometimes setup drops "packages"
>   from its default, allowing very wierd directory hierarchies indeed,
>   if downloading from somewhere. From bitter experience, I always make
>   sure this particular field ends in "packages".

I don't get this one at all.  What are you trying to say?

> - Have some of those little popup messages on the title, i.e. b -> binary,
>   s->source, after an interval the only b and s I can think of is
>   bachelors and spinsters. resizeable window perhaps.

You can't resize the window, but you *can* widen individual columns so
more of the title shows.  A resizeable chooser is in development.

> Dont get me wrong, my admiration for setup is boundless, mainly because
> it is the only thing that can punch through our corporate firewall, besides
> internet explorer. Be great to have source for it, or at least a cvs grab
> utility based on it.

<http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin-apps/setup.html> tells you where to get
the sources.  Happy developing.
	Igor