Re: feature requests for setup

----- Original Message -----
From: Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:56:04 -0400 (EDT)
To: peter garrone <pgarrone@linuxmail.org>
Subject: Re: feature requests for setup

> > - Have setup check with the mirror to see if the setup program itself
> >    has been upgraded. For people who dont read announcements.
>
> It already does that.
>
> > - If installing from the local directory, possibly only do the MD5
> >   checksum for packages that are actually going to be installed,
> >   because it now checks every package whenever it starts. Or
> >   at least after an install cycle is complete, allow an option to go back,
> >   so the recheck can skipped, or even both these ideas.
>
> <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC>.  Also see below.
>
> > - That "packages" directory default. Sometimes setup drops "packages"
> >   from its default, allowing very wierd directory hierarchies indeed,
> >   if downloading from somewhere. From bitter experience, I always make
> >   sure this particular field ends in "packages".
>
> I don't get this one at all.  What are you trying to say?

Hi, i had a bad day yesterday, today I see the little scroll bars
between Bin and Src, also the "back" key at the point it asks for the desktop icon.
Also I think my packages confusion was from the older setup, because the newer one
doesnt do it now.

I apologise to the mailing list for most of the points in my post, which are erroneous.

What wasnt happenning though, was that I had setup version 2.249.2.10 installed locally,
when I went "download from internet", at the ftp://mirror.aarnet.edu.au site,
it would install cygwin-1.3.22-1.tar.bz2, which had an old cygwin dll, and not
cygwin-1.5.5-1.tar.bz2, which had the new one. The old one would fail with most of
the utilities such as ls.exe, with a "__getreent" failure.
When I downloaded setup version 2.340.2.5, it
found and downloaded the package with the newer dll, as well as others. I think.

In my local cache of packages, I had been using experimental packages,
as well as a locally compiled and patched snapshot, so this could have something to do with it.