Re: how to decide the system config

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 02:05:47PM +0800, Jiang zhou wrote:
> I want to compile a software "bird" under cygwin. When I configure it said:
>
> $ ./configure
> checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin32
> checking for gcc... gcc
> [...]
> checking for m4... m4
> configure: error: Cannot determine correct system configuration. Please
> use --wi
> th-sysconfig to set it manually.

That's a configure problem.  You should examine the configure script
what it is looking for when it's failing.  If it is looking for a
Linux-like /etc/sysconfig directory, you're out of luck.  Cygwin
doesn't provide that.  You will have to rewrite the package somewhat
to get it working.

> I have install my cygwin by copy a cygwin directory to C: then run two reg
> files as below.

Why did you do it in a non-supported way?  Use setup.exe to install
Cygwin.

The below registry keys seem to be from an old Cygwin version, otherwise
I don't understand why you still have mount points for tape and floppy
devices.  See http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#AEN755

Btw., don't send registry keys, send cygcheck output as described on
http://cygwin.com/problems.html.

Corinna

> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
> setup\b15.0\mounts\00]
> "native"="\\\\.\\tape1:"
> "unix"="/dev/st1"
> "fbinary"=dword:00000000
> "fsilent"=dword:00000001
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
> setup\b15.0\mounts\01]
> "native"="\\\\.\\tape0:"
> "unix"="/dev/st0"
> "fbinary"=dword:00000000
> "fsilent"=dword:00000001
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
> setup\b15.0\mounts\02]
> "native"="\\\\.\\b:"
> "unix"="/dev/fd1"
> "fbinary"=dword:00000000
> "fsilent"=dword:00000001
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL
> setup\b15.0\mounts\03]
> "native"="\\\\.\\a:"
> "unix"="/dev/fd0"
> "fbinary"=dword:00000000