Re: Installed, Admin can run, other account can't...

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Marco Mason wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Marco Mason wrote:
> >
> > > Hey, gang--
> > >
> > > I've installed cygwin on a new box.  After I set it up, I could run it
> > > as administrator.
> > > However, when I logged into a test account, I can't successfully start
> > > it.
> > >
> > > Trying to run it under the test account in a DOS shell:
> > >
> > > D:\cygwin\bin>bash --login -i
> > > D:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe: *** CreateFileMapping, Win32 error 5.
> > > Terminating.
> > >
> > > D:\cygwin\bin>
> > >
> > > I tried googling for the message, but couldn't find anything useful.
> > >
> > > I ran a 'cygcheck -svr' and attached the output to this message as a
> > > text file.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have an idea of what I should try?
> > > --marco
> >
> > $ net helpmsg 5
> > Access is denied.
> > $
> >
> > Basically, it looks like Win2k couldn't run the application as the test
> > user.  What's the output of "ls -l /bin/bash.exe"?  How about "getfacl
> > /bin/bash.exe"?  You may need to change the permissions manually on your
> > Cygwin tree, using the "chmod -R" command.
> >         Igor
>
> Here's what you asked:
>
> $ ls -al /bin/bash.exe
> -rwx------+   1 Administ Users      534016 Sep 15 05:47 /bin/bash.exe
>
> $ getfacl /bin/bash.exe
> # file: /bin/bash
> # owner: Administrators
> # group: Users
> user::rwx
> group::---
> group:D-Application Server-RW:rwx
> mask:rwx
> other:---
>
> The user having difficulties is named 'EagleGen' and is a member of the
> D-Application Server-RW group.
>
> --marco

Ok.  This pretty much confirms my guess.

A quick fix would be to "chmod -R a+x /bin /usr/X11R6/bin /usr/sbin
/usr/i686-pc-* /usr/lib/gcc-lib && chmod -R a+r /usr /etc /lib /var".  I
may have missed some directories with executables.  You may also need to
give write access to everyone in /tmp and /var...

The "real" fix would be to make setup create the directories with the
right permissions from the start.  I'm not sure this is possible.
Perhaps people with more knowledge of ACLs (Pierre, Corinna, CGF?) will
chime in and offer their opinions...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/