RE: Setup 2.358 Hangs During Post-Install Script

seems to work perfectly. But being brand > new to Cygwin, what did I just
accomplish by killing the cygpath PID?

> Thanks,
> Scott Edwards

Hi Scott,

Please don't email anyone from the cygwin mailing list directly.  All

I am assuming from your response that you are also new to the UNIX world,
but apologies if this assumption is incorrect.  The way we used the cygwin
kill command (kill -9 <process-id>) is just like the 'End Process' button in
Windows Task Manager when you are looking at the processes tab.  Kill can by
used for a lot more than just stopping the process execution, but when I was
trying to get around the issue I was being fairly heavy handed.  Try reading
man pages (man kill) to find out more.

As for our specific killing of cygpath...  There is some kind of issue with
the post install script you identified that means it never completes.  As I
identified and you have confirmed, the actual part of the script that isn't
completing properly is the cygpath program.  As I haven't examined the
script at all, I can't tell you what cygpath is being used for, why it
should fail to complete in the way it does or what effect our killing it had
on the general succes of that script.  All I can say is that I haven't found
any ill effects with my installation but have not used X11 at all yet.

Hope this helps,

Steve Fairbairn

--
-- LONG DISCLAIMER --

This email has originated from Perwill plc (Registration No. 1906964)
Office registered at: 13A Market Square, Alton, Hampshire, GU34 1UR, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1420 545000
Fax: +44 (0)1420 545001
www.perwill.com
Privileged, confidential and/or copyright information may be contained
in this email, and is only for the use of the intended addressee.
To copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it in any way if you are not
the intended recipient or responsible for delivering to him/her is
prohibited.
If you receive this email by mistake, please advise the sender immediately,
by using the reply facility in your email software.

We may monitor the content of emails sent and received via our network
for the purposes of ensuring compliance with policies and procedures.
relationships between Perwill plc and the recipient.
Any opinions expressed in the email are those of the sender and not
necessarily of Perwill plc.