Re: problem of cron in cygwin xp

Igor,

This is a error in the application one:
"The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( cron ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: cron : PID 3248 : starting service `cron' failed: execv: 1, Operation not permitted."

I checked system log, no error there.

For SYSTEM-owned shell, are you talking about this method?
$ at /interactive 12:19 c:\cygwin\bin\bash --login -i
Invalid command.

$ at /interactive 12:19 /cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin/bash --login -i
Invalid command.

Did I miss anything?

Chunyu

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

Chunyu,

The main part of the event is "cron : PID 3248 : `cron' service stopped.",
so this is not quite what you're looking for.  Are there other events from
cron around that time in the event log?  Did you look at the system log,
or the application one?

Google allows you to restrict the search to a particular domain (see
<http://www.google.com/help/refinesearch.html#domain>).  So, you'd search
for something like '"at /interactive" site:cygwin.com'.
	Igor

windows event log does contain something, but I can't understand them.
"The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( cron ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be
able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help
and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
cron : PID 3248 : `cron' service stopped.".

I don't know how to search "at /interactive" on "cygwin.com".  In
cygwin.com, no search engine is provided.

Chunyu

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

Chunyu,

Does the Windows event log contain any clues?

Cron from the command line wouldn't start a service -- it'll start the
application itself...  Which should be enough to ascertain whether your
crontab works.

The instructions for getting a system-owned shell can easily be found by
searching Google for "system-owned shell cygwin".
   Igor