Re: Please Help - Problems installing cygwin...

Just an update.  I tried it again, downloading packages again this time.
So far, the latest version of cygwin has only worked on one Win2K system
for me, it has failed on three others.

On the other three, I am logging into a system that is part of a domain.

I ruled out "PATH" being a problem by making sure the PATH for the one
that DID work was moved to one that did not work.

If we cannot figure out why these systems are not working, can someone
help by explaining what exactly the installer should be doing after the
binaries are laid down, so I can do it manually to get cygwin working?
E.g. how are permissions on the system supposed to be set?  Other than the
post-install scripts, what else should I check to see if setup
accomplished it properly?

Thank You,
Brian Hayward

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 hayward@slothmud.org wrote:

>I just installed cygwin and none of the post-install scripts work after
>install.  I've tried having the cygwin\bin directory at both the front and
>the end of the path.
>
>After installing cygwin, I found the following details:
>1) First time running the shell, threw me to "/usr/bin" when I did a pwd.
>2) I tried re-running the base-files-mketc.sh.done script - it failed with
>"/bin/uname not found".  Then I tested "/bin/uname" from the command line
>and it worked fine.  Then instead of running "sh base-files-mketc.sh.done"
>I ran "bash base-files-mketc.sh.done" and it worked fine.
>
>Then I tried to run the rest of the postinstall scripts in the same
>fashion, before they would work I had to add /usr/bin and /bin to the
>FRONT of the path.  (Otherwise it found the DOS "find" program instead of
>the Unix "find" program.
>
>After all of the postinstall scripts worked successfully, I exited the
>cygwin shell and started it again.  I then got "/etc/profile permission
>denied"
>
>ls -l /etc revealed that all files were owned by the default user and
>group that installed it.  Many permissions were as if someone did a
>chmod 0 on them.
>
>Does anyone have suggestions?  I suspect it may be the path, but I'm not
>sure.
>
>Thanks,
>Brian Hayward
>

>--