RE: cygpath hangs from postinstall scripts when called like $(cygpath -S) but not otherwise

> From: Igor Pechtchanski

> On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Cliff Hones wrote:
>
> > I ran cygcheck on cygpath, and was surprised to discover
> > that it has a dependence on msvcrt (as well as cygwin1):
> >
> > $ cygcheck /bin/cygpath.exe
> > D:/cygwin/bin/cygpath.exe
> >   D:/cygwin/bin\cygwin1.dll
> >     D:\WINNT\system32\KERNEL32.dll
> >       D:\WINNT\system32\NTDLL.DLL
> >   D:\WINNT\system32\SHELL32.DLL
> >     D:\WINNT\system32\GDI32.DLL
> >       D:\WINNT\system32\USER32.DLL
> >     D:\WINNT\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL
> >       D:\WINNT\system32\RPCRT4.DLL
> >     D:\WINNT\system32\SHLWAPI.DLL
> >       D:\WINNT\system32\msvcrt.dll
> >     D:\WINNT\system32\COMCTL32.DLL
> >
> > I thought that using the msvcrt and cygwin1 dll's in
> > the same executable was likely to cause crashes or hangs -
> > is this no longer the case, or could this be the problem
> > with the postinstall?
> >
> > -- Cliff
>
> Wow!  Good thinking, Cliff!  I think you may be on to something...
> ISTM that the problem could manifest itself when running from setup as
> opposed to from the shell because setup is a Windows program, so some
> MSVCRT functions may be found before the Cygwin ones...  We could test by
> using "cygstart cygpath" or "run cygpath" or something.
> 	Igor

AFAIU this *is* the problem.

 cygstart doesn't help, but changing /etc/X11/icon-list to contain

 TOPFOLDER="$(/usr/X11R6/bin/run cygpath -A -P)/Cygwin-XFree86"

(and in my "part3.sh") makes the script run as it should.

	*** With one exception ***

	the result above isn't the expected:
	just "/Cygwin-XFree86" ends up in TOPFOLDER.

The fix for the Xfree-bin-icons.sh postinstall script is, as I have pointed
out earlier; start it from bash, then rename it do *.done

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - 59?16.37'N, 17?12.60'E
-- UTC+01, DST -> UTC+02  --
--END OF MESSAGE--