Re: 1.5.4-1: Problem with XEmacs, fonts, and subprocesses.

No double slashes or backslashes for me. After upgarding cygwin tp 1.5.XXX
Xemacs
preview latex is no longer working, showing blank spaces where latex should
be rendered.
In case you missed it I found this correspondence on the xemacs newsgroup:
Jerry James wrote:

>This bug affects both 21.4 and 21.5.  There have been reports on
>comp.emacs.xemacs about shell mode being broken on Cygwin/XP.  I traced
>the problem through the Lisp code, down to this call into the internals:
>
>(start-process-internal "shell" (get-buffer-create "*shell*") "/bin/sh"
"-i")

>That call alone is enough to demonstrate the problem.  After it returns,
>all newly typed characters display as red rectangles, menus pull down,
>but the mouse doesn't highlight anything, and other weird display
>problems occur.  If anybody has any idea where I should look, I'd
>appreciate a clue.
>
>Thanks,

In case you missed this because it was on another thread, this is the
response that I got from Andy Piper (andy at xemacs dot org) when I
reported the bug. Don't know whether it helps...

>> This behaviour is new to this release. Previous releases (many) have
>> been fine. However, I confess that I updated both Cygwin and XEmacs at
>> the same time so I don't know which update caused the breakage.
>

>So, predictably, they have almost certainly broken it in cygwin. The
special
>select() handling in cygwin for /dev/mswindows is only used by XEmacs and I
>suspect they have no tests for it.

Andy

--
Andy Rushton, Research Fellow, ECS Department, Southampton University

20031004230945.GC9651@redhat.com">news:20031004230945.GC9651@redhat.com...