Re: 1.5.4-1: Problem with XEmacs, fonts, and subprocesses.

It is true that making a xemacs.bat file which contains
c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\run.exe /bin/bash  -c
"/usr/local/bin/i686-pc-cygwin/xemacs"
makes XEmacs run correctly under cygwin 1.5.5. (Actually one needs to add a
line 'set cygwin=tty '
before that line if one does not already have it in the windows'
environment). Alternatively one can run it from rxvt.
By running correctly I mean nvoking secondary processes like opening a shell
or compiling a program.
However the bigger question is why XEmacs ran correctly before from its icon
on the desk and it does not run correctly now? It must be something that has
changed going from
cygwin 1.3.22 to 1.5 that prevents runnung this application from the dos
command line when it was compiled with cygwin. In 1.3.22 it ran flawlessly.
It seems that this change affects also some other applications. I wonder
also if once XEmacs is compiled with 1.5.5 it will also run from the dos
prompt or icon or not.
"Henry S. Thompson" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk> wrote in message
f5bllrxpdi4.fsf@erasmus.inf.ed.ac.uk">news:f5bllrxpdi4.fsf@erasmus.inf.ed.ac.uk...
> Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> >
> >> Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> writes:
> >>
> >> <snip/>

\"/usr/local/bin/i686-pc-cygwin/xemacs -f gnuserv-start\"", &sec_attrs,
NULL, TRUE, 0,

'c:\cygwin\bin\bash --login -c

> >> Because that produces an unsightly command window as well as the
> >> desired xemacs window.  That's what all the WinMain etc. stuff is
> >> there to defeat.
> >>
> >> ht
> >
> > Umm, yeah, ok, make that 'c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\run.exe /bin/bash
> > --login -c "/usr/local/bin/i686-pc-cygwin/xemacs -f gnuserv-start"',
then.
> > :-D
> > Igor
>
> Ah, but I don't run X, just vanilla cygwin.
>
> See you and raise you again :-)
>
> ht
> --
>   Henry S. Thompson, HCRC Language Technology Group, University of
Edinburgh