Re: Installed 1.5.5, need to back off to 1.3.22

    Larry> At 08:30 PM 10/9/2003, Karr, David you wrote:
    >> I have version 1.3.22 installed on another box.  On a new box, I decided
    >> to go for broke and install 1.5.5.  Unfortunately, as others have
    >> described, Xemacs doesn't work in this Cygwin version.  I need to
    >> somehow uninstall what I have and install version 1.3.22.  I've perused
    >> the FAQ and install information, and did some searches on the mailing
    >> list archives, but I don't see how to do this.  I did notice information
    >> on how to "uninstall" cygwin, by manually deleting directories and
    >> registry entries, but I didn't see how I can install an older version.

    Larry> Simply rerun setup, point it at a mirror or your local package directory
    Larry> with cygwin 1.3.22, and click on the second column in the package listing
    Larry> until 1.3.22 comes up.  Voila!  You're ready to install 1.3.22 now.  Be
    Larry> aware that you'll need to "downgrade" any packages that require 1.5.x in
    Larry> order for 1.3.22 to work without complaint for all applications.  Note, I'm
    Larry> not recommending this course of action in any way.  I'm just answering your
    Larry> question.  Your better, more productive route is to try to figure out a
    Larry> solution for XEmacs so that it works with 1.5.x.  You may not believe it
    Larry> but that will be quicker and less headaches overall.  Plus you'll be
    Larry> helping your fellow XEmacs users who want to use it with Cygwin too!

The trick is finding a mirror that has that version.  Figuring out the versions
of packages to go with 1.3.22 will be straightforward if I find a mirror that
has 1.3.22.

Is there any way of "copying" a 1.3.22 distribution from one box to another
box?  I know it's not that simple, but is there a list of straightforward
places I'd have to patch to make it work (like registry changes)?

This isn't a path I want to take either, but I have no idea how to debug a
problem like this.

dmkarr@earthlink.net   ; SCJP; SCWCD; SCBCD