Re: setup hangs during postinstall

>On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 06:17:08PM -0500, Brian Ford wrote:
>>#!/bin/bash
>>
>>FOO=`cypath -S`
>>
>>but using #!/bin/sh doesn't.  likewise, strace hangs here:
>>#!/bin/bash
>>
>>FOO=`strace -o /tmp/cygpath.strace cypath -S`
>>
>>but not using #!/bin/sh.
>>
>>Neither hang if setup is launched from bash instead of explorer.
>
>Hmm.  Maybe I missed this point before.  I never run setup from
>explorer.
>
>In any event, can you set the CYGWIN_DEBUG=cygpath and maybe do some
>search and destroy debugging to see precisely where it is hanging?
>
>cgf

I've done some experimentation with setup with similar results, and can
confirm that the hang depends on the environment from which setup is
started.

I see the cygpath hang (when reinstalling XFree86-bin-icons) in these cases:

1.  Clicking on the setup.exe icon in Explorer

2.  Clicking on a setup.exe shortcut icon in the desktop

I don't see the hang if I start setup from any kind of command window.
This includes:

1.  A standard Microsoft command window.

2.  A command window running bash.

3.  An xterm window running bash.
I don't see the hang if I start setup from a Cygwin session, or from
a standard command window.

4.  A .bat file, e.g.
@echo off

C: