Re: setup hangs during postinstall

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 05:47:26PM +0100, Dr.D.J.Picton wrote:
>>>Hmm.  Maybe I missed this point before.  I never run setup from
>>>explorer.

I thought you might have.  That is why I confirmed it again.

>>>In any event, can you set the CYGWIN_DEBUG=cygpath and maybe do some
>>>search and destroy debugging to see precisely where it is hanging?

Sorry, I just haven't had time yet.  I will try soon, but I can only do
this at work.  So, if I don't get to it this afternoon, it'll have to wait
until Monday.

>>I've done some experimentation with setup with similar results, and can
>>confirm that the hang depends on the environment from which setup is
>>started.
>>
>>I don't see the hang if I start setup from any kind of command window.
>>This includes:
>>1.  A standard Microsoft command window.
>>4.  A .bat file
>Actually, I trust Brian's observations.  He's obviously a sharp guy and
>a capable programmer.  I wasn't asking for confirmation there.  I was
>hoping for someone to do some debugging.

Gee, thanks for the compliment.

I actually thought 1 and 4 were interesting points that had not been
stated before.  Good debugging is obviously more usefull.

Consolidated reply...

Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 06:45:25PM -0500, Brian Ford wrote:
>>On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Brian Ford wrote:
>>>Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough.  There is no strace output file
>>>produced in the hang case.
>>ie.  cygpath isn't in the ps of the hang either.  I'm not sure if it
>>completed and strace just hasn't flushed the file, or if cygpath never
>>got spawned.
>It might be necessary to do a 'ps -W' since if cygpath is in an
>initializing or exiting state, it might not show up on a regular 'ps'.

It's not there at all.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer