Re: merging mingw and cygwin

On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 02:04:38AM -0400, Daniel Reed wrote:
> On 2003-10-11T22:19-0700, Edward Peschko wrote:
> ) And all of these are done separately, so of course no integration testing is done to
> ) make sure that these work together well..
>
> If you would like to coordinate such an audit/review of overall
> interoperability, I do not believe anyone would begrudge you whatever access
> or information you need.

I'd only do it if each tool was built under the same toolset/chain of tools. I'd like
them to use cygwin, if possible, to build native win32 toolsets.

> ) to *create* these tools and libraries, so any integration with third party APIs becomes
> ) exceedingly ugly.
>
> If you have a specific example in mind of such an interoperability problem,
> please point it out. It is not exceptional to ask you to donate your time
> for such a task; Cygwin is maintained exclusively by volunteers, so any
> suggestion you make is in effect a request for someone else to donate their
> time.

all of the interoperability problems I see are with the native tools out there,
ex: trying to use msys shell to run cygwin binaries, or using the cygwin shell to run
the mingw compiler. Or using the msys shell to run a third-party 'ported' tool. Mostly
has to do with argument munging; using cygwin gzip on msys shell doesn't recognize any
of its arguments. Or neglects to find the cygwin*dll.

Ironic all of this, because plain old cmd.exe seems to run well with anything. I'd hope
that sh.exe in both worlds would behave the same way.

> The procedure is documented more formally at http://cygwin.com/setup.html .
> You do not need to worry about posting to sources.redhat.com, that will be
> handled by someone like myself once the package has been proposed, reviewed,
> and accepted.
>
> Basically, to create a binary package, instead of make install you might:
>   make install DESTDIR=/tmp/temproot && cd /tmp/temproot && tar -jcf \
>   ~/public_html/package-version-1.tar.bz2 *
> and announce on cygwin-apps that http://pge.com/~esp5/package-version-1.tar.bz2
> is available for review.
>
> There is some more process to create a suitable setup.hint and to handle
> files in /etc, but other than that, it usually is just that simple. Most of
> the time spent in maintaining a Cygwin package might be spent getting the
> software to compile/operate properly in the first place; the packaging
> itself is usually very trivial, and anyone on the cygwin-apps mailing list
> should be able to help you while you are getting your C legs.
>
> Thanks for your interest,

sure, I'll take a look at it.

Ed