fresh install and yet unoperable

I know, I know. I should have read the FAQ and the Documentation. I have.
And yet, a fresh install (yesterday) is not working on windows XP.
It is about /etc/profile that is missing, which results in PATH not being set.
cygwin.bat does not have any PATH  set either.

In the /etc dir I only have /etc/defaults/etc/profile.
Why hasn't it been created in the /etc directory?

If I put PATH=c:\cygwin\bin in the cygwin.bat file I can issue commands from the
/usr/bin directory but other environment settings do not work. /home/<username> does
not exist, etc.

Any hints will be much appreciated
Thank you.

Benedict