Re: SSH connection close when _any_ user logs out of W2K

> Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:08:25 +0100 (BST)
> From: "Dr.D.J.Picton" <dave@aps5.ph.bham.ac.uk>
> Subject: Re: SSH connection close when _any_ user logs out of W2K

> >    From: Larry Hall <cygwin-lh at cygwin dot com>
> >    To: Matthew Hilty <mhilty at artic dot edu>, cygwin at cygwin dot com
> >    Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:53:46 -0400
> >    Subject: Re: SSH connection close when _any_ user logs out of W2K
>
> >At 05:23 PM 9/30/2003, Matthew Hilty you wrote:
> >>Hello,
> >>        I've noticed on a recent installation of OpenSSH under cygwin
> >>(followed  http://tech.erdelynet.com/cygwin-sshd.html) that users
> >>connected to the server via SSH have their connections closed if any
> >>Windows user logs out of the desktop. The SSHD daemon still functions,
> >>it just closes active sessions.  After this, I can SSH back to the
> >>server and my session stays active until I intentionally log out, or
> >>another Windows users logs in, then out.  Any insights or references
> >>would be wonderful; I've been combing mailing lists and usenet and can't
> >>find a similar description.

> I just want to flag up the fact that I'm now seeing the same problem, also on
> a Win2K box.  Any processes spawned by sshd are killed when I do a Windows
> logout.  This used not to be the case, so I'll find out whether I see the
> problem if I revert to the previous version of sshd.

OK - I've run a couple of quick tests.

1. The bug didn't go away when I reverted to the previous version of
sshd.

2. If I run an explicit command using ssh, it doesn't get killed when a
Windows user logs out.  I suspect that this has something to do with the fact
that such processes have no virtual terminal associated with them.  For
example, the following process will stay around after a logout:

ssh <hostname> bash