RE: Can't build cygwin from CVS: configure error

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Hannu E K Nevalainen wrote:

> Sigh - yes, or even better; the FAQ stating that there should be a configure
> script in the root dir after the checkout - as it depends on it beeing
> there - i.e. "You should now have a /src/configure script. Run it like
> this:".

Do you really need that?  Isn't this:

/src/configure --prefix=/install -v > configure.log 2>&1

sufficient to imply its existance?

>  (The description also assumes that one have done "cd /"... but it isn't
> stated anywhere... confusion factor increases.)

cd /obj

was the line directly above the former one quoted.

> That would have made me - being a beginner - able to tell that something was
> wrong, not considering cvs malfunction at this occasion.
>
>  As a beginner I'm vulnerable to things like that - I do not have the
> experience to say when something has gone wrong.
> I would consider this being "a stability issue" for the FAQ/documentation.
> Software that is "unstable" usually gets fixed... hint, hint ;-)
> (yes I know; PTC, we've been there before)

Well, it is generally considered that anyone trying to build and debug
Cygwin should be reasonably familiar with these standard software
development tools.  No offense intended, but this is the Cygwin FAQ, not
the CVS, GNU configure, etc. FAQ.

> > >I'll be investigating gdb and the possibilities with this dll.
> >
> > CGF: Please don't bother.  I'm asking again.  Please give it up.
>
>  Right, I've got the picture... I have interest in the matter though, this
> is the way I learn.

There is nothing wrong with trying to learn.  Just realize that when you
are a complete newbie to the entire environment surrounding the project,
you probably have more basic questions than the community at large.  As
such, a documentation clarification is not always the appropriate action.
Sometimes, minimal user education is sufficient.

> Once again, I'm not *trying* to get you into this mood. My style of
> expressing myself, my frustration and such, seems to peck hard on your mind.
> Sorry about that. I wish I could supply you with "polariod glasses" for
> filtering it out.

If it is any consolation, cgf and I had a pretty big "run in" when I
started on this list too.  At least when talking directly to him or making
bug reports, try to put on those "polariod glasses" while you type.  :)

It is easy to take a problem report in a "whiny" tone as insulting when
you are a developer who donates most of your time.  Just try to stick with
the facts.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer