cygpath hangings

I decided to try to put some investigation into the cygpath crashings that have been reported so much. Here are my findings.. I hope this helps! I'd be happy to try further debuggings, except I couldn't figure out how to attach a debugger to the program (because as previously noted the hang only occurs when running from setup.exe)

I used the basic setup contained in http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-10/msg00049.html , but made a new program I call cygcrash.cc, which I include the source code to at the end of this message. If I comment out the call to SHGetPathFromIDList in this program, the program returns, else it hangs.

Also, This program seems to be both valid c++ and c code. If it is compiled in gcc, all is fine. In g++, it hangs.

If there is anything else anyone would like me to try (like taking a -E and picking out all the useless bits of shlobj.h), I'd be happy to do so, but won't unless it will be useful to someone :)

-- Code begins --

#include <shlobj.h>

void fee (void) {
 char *buf;
 LPITEMIDLIST id;
 SHGetPathFromIDList (id, buf);
}

int main (int argc, char **argv) { return 0; }