Re: 7-Zip

Lapo Luchini wrote:

Biju G C wrote:

I wish there is somebody to port this.

As per Igor Standalone command line version in folder
 Project\archiver\bundle\Alone\     will be easy to port

I made a try at it, once.. but it has lotsa subdirectories and libraries... without working Makefiles is not-so-easy to figure out how to compile.
Moreover the source code is written so "Windows-like" (and I know *no* Windows programming) that I can't understand which part of the code is Windows-specific and which one just uses Windows names for "normal things"...

OK, I didn't know that .dsp could be translated "easily" to Makefiles (I can't find any program that does so *and* works, though) but fortunately Filip knew it and did a "unsupported" patch.
I upgraded that to apply to 7-zip 3.11 clean source (using cygwin in -mno-cygwin mode, while his patch used mingw) so that a 7za.exe "stand alone executable" can be created with cygwin's gcc.

As Biju said in an earlier message, this is at least the beginning...

BTW: 7za.exe is much more like zip.exe than gzip.exe, as it is an archivier, not simply a compressor.
Could be interesting to "extract" a compressor from it, and maybe adapt tar to use it, too.

PS: strangely enough, the file is much much bigger (almost the double) and also a little slower (even if using -O3 -march=i686 it is 2x size an 10% slower than the original anyway)
I don't want to believe that VisualC is better than gcc-3.3 =(

--
Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
lapo@lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)