Re: how do I use two versions of cygwin on one machine?

Jim Perkins wrote:
> I looked in the FAQ, I searched the archives, and I searched on
> deja.com with no luck.  I have been using cygwin for quite a while
> and I'm dependent on it.  Recently I started working with a new
> single board computer.  The compile environment is an older version
> of cygwin.  More recent versions of cygwin don't work properly for
> this compiling task.  I don't mind using an older version but the one
> the manufacturer sent is very stripped down and is basically only
> good for running "make".  So, I figured I could just have two
> versions of cygwin on my machine and only use one at a time.  So far
> I have not been able to do it.  Any suggestions?

Short answer: You can't.

Long answer: There are ways, but they are *very* inelegant.
Essentially, you would have to manually switch the data stored in the
registry to that for the appropriate version of Cygwin.
Naturally, close all cygwin processes whilst doing so.
If you have the Cygwin bin directory in PATH, you will have to change that
too, every time.

If you do take this route, be very aware that list explicitly does not
support modified installs of Cygwin like the above.

Max.