Re: various sundry things

Edward Peschenko wrote
[...]
>> Misconception: You thought that -mno-cygwin was a flag that needed
>> to only be passed to the linker.
>
>true, but that is a conception that any user - especially newbies - could
make.

>You've got to understand something. When I come across a project and
>evaluate it for usability, I take about a half an hour with the manual
>and FAQ to see if I can get it off the bat. Best is if I don't have to
>spend *any* time with the manual.
>
>Now, here's what the faq has to say about -mno-cygwin:
>
>"The -mno-cygwin flag to gcc makes gcc link against standard
>Microsoft DLLs instead of Cygwin. This is desirable for native
>Windows applications that don't need a UNIX emulation layer.".
>
>it goes on to mention that cygwin + -mno-cygwin 'is not to be confused
>with mingw32 which is a totally separate effort'.
>
>that's it. nothing about link time, run time, or what-have-you. In fact it
>*implies* use at link time.
[...]

I think he has a point here. To me it occured natural that you have
to tell gcc already at compile time if you want to have a mingw executable
or DLL at the end. There is /usr/include/mingw after all, which is
"the" system include directory for mingw and needs to be known at
compile time.

To others, this may not be that clear.

Apart from CGF's hint how to configure for mingw you may also want to
change the install directory. I habitually install static libs into
/usr/local/lib or /usr/local/lib/mingw. How to do that is left
as anexercise.

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüssen,

Thomas Demmer
Kraft Foods R&D Inc.
Tel.: +49 (0)89 62738-6302
Fax: +49 (0)89 62738-86302
mailto:tdemmer@krafteurope.com <mailto:>

Thought of the day
A real friend isn't someone you use once and then throw away.
A real friend is someone you can use over and over again.