Re: sshd only allows connection to local accounts

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 05:08:47AM -0400, Fred Ma wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I followed the procedure of setting up sshd:
> http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html
>
> I launch the sshd with an account that is part of
> the administrator group (WinXP).  One peculiarity
> about this account is that it is not a local
> account i.e. when I log into Windows, I specify a domain
> name other than the name of the local PC.
>
> In order for sshd to respond to connection requests,
> I did "mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd".  This did not
> allow me to connect to sshd from outside, since
> "mkpasswd -l" only generates entries for local users.
>
> Therefore, I used "mkpasswd -d", grepped my User ID
> from the output, then appended it to /etc/passwd.
> This didn't fix the problem.
>
> To check that sshd allowed connections to local user
> accounts, I created a local user account "Test" and
> successfully connected to it via sshd from outside.
>
> What more is required to allow ssh connections to
> nonlocal user accounts?  I only have control over
> the local PC.  Even here, I don't have absolute
> control; for example, I can't login as "administrator",
> but I can login to an account that is part of the
> administrators group.

You're assuming too much.  We don't know about your settings at all.
What cygwin version?  What ssh version?  Password authentication or
pubkey authentication?  What do you mean by "I launch the sshd with
an account that is part of the administrator group"?  Does that
mean you start sshd on the command line using that account?  Or does
that mean you start an sshd service from the command line using that
account?  Or do you mean the service runs under that account?  Etc.
Please see http://cygwin.com/problems.html.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.