Re: ssmtp 2.38.7-4 reads headers from message body.

Corinna Vinschen" <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 03:30:39PM +0200, Frank Slootweg wrote:
[deleted]
> >   So my problem is solved, but what about the generic problem? IMO
> > ssmtp in a Cygwin environment should be able to handle DOS format
> > data. AFAIK, there are (POSIX? XPG?) standards for opening a stream
> > in text mode, which should make things compatible between ('DOS' and
> > UNIX) platforms.
>
> Nope, that won't work as a generic solution.  Think "binary
> attachment".

  Sorry, but I do not agree. In a mail message (i.e. header(s) and
body/bodies), a "binary attachment" is not really binary. It is encoded
as 'text' (i.e. uuencode, base64, etc.) and those text lines can have a
normal text end-of-line, i.e. \r\n for 'DOS' and \n for UNIX.

[deleted]

> Erm... are you reading the cygwin announcements?

  No, I don't. Can you give a pointer where/how I can read "the cygwin
announcements"? Thanks.

> I'm ssmtp maintainer
> for Cygwin but there's no upstream maintainer. ssmtp development has
> been abandoned.  Since you're the first one coming across that problem
> I don't value it too high, especially since there's a workaround.
> And I'm not sure if that's actually a ssmtp problem or if that's not
> rather a tin problem.  Yes, I'm also tin maintainer for Cygwin...

  You would have to ask Urs et al whether or not this is a tin problem.
As shown in my 'basenote', I originally posted about this in the
news.software.readers Newsgroup. I'll report my findings there.
Personally I consider it normal that under Windows, tin will write
DOS-format text files (because some generic Windows stuff (for example
notepad) still has problems with UNIX-format). Until now most 'free'
software has been very transparent with regard to DOS and UNIX format
text. Case in point: I used to do most of my text stuff on UNIX systems
(at work). Now I'm doing most on my (private) Windows system. Most of my
old files are still UNIX format, but give no problems. So I think that
ssmtp is somewhat unique and somewhat 'broken'.

> Before I forget it:  PATCHES GRATEFULLY ACCEPTED!

  Don't hold your breath. I have only very limited programming
experience and none in a Cygwin environment, so this will probably be
too hard for me to patch.