gdb startup error

Hi,

Whenever I type gdb from the bash command line, a little window immediately pops up
Window title: "gdb.exe Application Error"
and text is: "The application failed to initialize properly(0xc000007b)"
The gdb executable is Sep 20 12:45 2365952 bytes.

This also happens for the "insight" command. But everything else is OK.

I believe gdb was working until I recently upgraded my system. cygcheck
says I have gdb package version 20030919-1 and that it is OK.

To list my own debugging attempts,

My search of the net says that the only possible cause of c000007b, standing for STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_FORMAT,
is a failure of the function _CorValidateImage, for xp systems. I am running xp. Also a DLL stuffup could be the cause.

Any help appreciated.