RE: Cygwin Setup 99% (fwd)

> From: Rao, Shrisha
> Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 10:25 PM

> To: Hannu E K Nevalainen
 Please, don't send it to me personally - I do read the list.

>  But you're right; the
> postinstall hangs at /etc/postinstall/base-files-mketc.sh,
> .../texmf**.sh, and so on.  (I've seen postings about XFree86 scripts
> hanging, but not about these.)

Might this be a problem replated to user rights beeing wrong on the Cygwin
root folder?
IIRC there has been problems caused by the rights beeing inherited in a
"bad" manner.
This has been debated on the list, I'm too tired right now to try finding
those postings (it's midnight right now!).
 Why don't you try to find them and check for validity?

If the above doesn't help then, try the following rather 'lame' description.
NOTE: I'm not sure this will help you, but anyway.

First, to try to figure out what is going wrong:
Start and run setup until it hangs, then attempt to launch a bash shell:

If nothing else works, then try:
 Click: Start -> Run -> type "cmd" in the box -> OK
Then type:

 CD CYGWIN_ROOT\bin

where you replace CYGWIN_ROOT with your particular root usually this is
C:\Cygwin or some such. (Check in setup.exe - this is one of the first
things to enter). Upon succesfully doing that; type

 .\bash --norc --noprofile -i
-- the result should look something like this --
F:\>C:

C:\>cd \Program\Cygwin\bin

C:\Cygwin\bin>bash --noprofile --norc -i
bash-2.05b$

Now enter
$ ps >/ps.txt
$ ps -W >/psw.txt
$ tail -150 /var/log/setup.log >/setup-log-tail.txt

 If you cannot get things going at all, try *attaching* these *.txt files to
a message and send it off onto the list. Someone might get a hunch out of
it.

Now, bring forth the windows Task manager and kill setup.exe and all other
cygwin-related processes. If you know how to avoid killing the bash you just
started, then do so. Otherwise just start a new bash afterwards.

> I tried the suggestions for kill -9 and also for using Windows task
> manager to kill off cygwin.exe, but neither worked.  (There *is* no
> cygwin.exe running when /etc/postinstall/base-files-mketc.sh hangs,
> and killing the various sh.exe's causes setup to complete, create
> the icons, etc., but of course things are not properly set up.)

 There should be a setup.exe, apart from possible copies of bash/sh and
other cygwin related programs.

An attempt to fix your problems, at least temporarily - type these lines (or
copy them from here, use the Insert key to paste - if it works)

Do all of it unless something fails.

$ cd /etc/postinstall/
$ find -type f -name '*.sh' | xargs
$ find -type f -name '*.sh' -exec mv {} {}.done \;

Assuming all this works out - I really am not that sure it will - you might
wish to try to launch bash from the desktop icon or the start menu - if they
exist. If there is none, then run cmd again and cd into CYGWIN_ROOT again,
but this time launch cygwin.bat instead - assuming it exists.

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - 59?16.37'N, 17?12.60'E
-- printf("Timezone: %s\n", (DST)?"UTC+02":"UTC+01"); --
--END OF MESSAGE--