Re: Mount Confusion -- the tallest pique in the world!

At 2003-11-01 03:27 PM, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>> At 2003-10-31 01:08 PM, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>> Why do /zc, /zd, /ze, /zf, /zg, ... ('mount c:/ /zc', ...
>> 'mount g:/ /zg, ...) appear in ls output when no prior
>> 'mkdir's have been carried out. What's different between
>> /tmp and /<everything else>?
>
>WAG: this may be due to the code that lists /cygdrive automatic mounts
>(since your cygdrive prefix is set to "/", you get your drives listed).

1st, the only cygdrive prefix that works on my system is /cygdrive/.
2nd, no matter what I set the prefix to /cyggdrive/ is the only
     prefix that works.
3rd, even using your suggestion of 'mount -c -b -s /IIFOIALIP', for
     example:

cd /IIFOIALIP/c/ # does not get me to c:/, whereas
cd /cygdrive/c/  # gets me there before during and after!!

Quite apart from the above:

Why (how is it that) I can get /zc ... /zy to show up in the output of 'ls /',
and I can do a cd to any of "/z?", without creating respective directories in /
of /zc .. /zy?

I submit to the group that whatever inconsistency in implementation or
documentation is behind these problems, is the source of numerous
configuration problems that people are having. I have run into this
problem so many times that I refuse to let it rest until I understand
it.

>> >I'd bet you were installing as one user and running as another.
>>
>> You'd lose that bet. Only one ID -- Administrator. Cygwin always
>> *only* installed for/by Administrator.
>
>Nope.  Services run as LocalSystem (aka SYSTEM). :-p

I'm not getting the joke, and more importantly the point! Could someone
else jump in here who is not as proud of their own sense of humor.

>> One thing I do not understand, however, is the appearance of the
>> owner/user SYSTEM on some files/directories when I do 'ls -l'.
>
>There you go. :-D

There I go where? I am not installing anything as "SYSTEM". Cygwin
setup (?) must be doing it? Why? How? How do I keep the mismatches
from occurring again?

>> >Stale user mounts?  Your "/", "/usr/bin" and "/usr/lib" mounts appear to
>> >be user mounts.  You should probably remount them as "system" (i.e.,
>> >'mount -f -s -b d:/Cygwin /', 'mount -f -s -b d:/Cygwin/bin /usr/bin',
>> >'mount -f -s -b d:/Cygwin/lib /usr/lib', and 'umount -U').

For the third time, why do I have to explicitly specify '-s' and '-b'
when the man page says they are each the default?

What other sub-root directories besides /usr/bin /usr/lib require mounting
for a valid Cygwin configuration?