Re: Problems building cygwin from source

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 12:36:46PM +0100, Hannu E K Nevalainen wrote:
> [...]

Right.  And you compounded the problem by not reporting the cvs error,
instead insisting that the error be *documented*.

>This error caused the "top" configure to not appear after an initial
>cvs checkout (i.e.  on an empty /src dir).
>
>Reading the docs and FAQ is essential, though beeing a bit sparse at
>times they still are correct - in hindsight.  I've been fighting this
>sparseness to some extent ;-) (HI CGF!)

Translation: "I was confused so, since I have a high opinion of myself,
the reason for my confusion must lie elsewhere."

>In telecom terms; IMO there needs to be a slight redundancy in the data
>transmitted via the docs.  Thus allowing for error checking and
>possibly even correction on errors.
>
>In general terms this means; add a word or two after a group of
>instructions to tell what the outcome of the instruction group _should_
>give as result.
>
>And for CGF; this was NOT a "the docs are bad" inlay, it was one that
>lobbies for improvements.  ;-)

I really really wish that you would leave this stuff to the experts.
You can't figure out how to build the tools.  You can't figure out how
to change the documentation.  You can't even figure out when you are
getting *errors*.  Yet, you still seem to think that your opinion is
so valuable that you need to repeatedly make the same points so that
someone else will follow through on your vague assertions.

Really, I am asking you again to not bother.  I know that I am always
asking for help but I'm giving you a pass on this one.  I am not asking
for your help.  Your point has been made.  It is understood.  Really.
Give it a rest.  AFAIAC, you are just losing credibility with every
one of these repeated observations.

cgf