The incredible shrinking PATH

Hi,

We're getting a problem where a native windows console program invoked from
an interactive Cygwin bash shell seems to be getting a truncated PATH
environment variable.  The windows program in question is Boost Jam and for
some people it can't find a compiler that's definitely in a directory in
their path.  If they re-arrange the directories in their path to make the
relevant one appear early on things start working.  And the same command
invoked from cmd works without having to re-arrange the path.

Has anyone come across anything like this before?  I had a quick search of
the archives but nothing turned up.

Mark.