RE: STDIN and STDOUT not connected to a terminal?

Sigh.

I read the FAQ; I found nothing.
I looked in the archives (obvious from my posting).
"Smart questions" (ESR notwithstanding) are in the eye of the beholder.

This is Perl 5.8.0
Windows 2000 Pro
theoretically latest cygwin (I installed it recently)
BASH_VERSION='2.05b.0(1)-release'
CYGWIN='ntsec tty'

If there is something more you need to know, then please  _tell me what it is_.
Don't be cryptic.

I've been using Unix since 1983; I've been using cygwin since October 15, 2003.

-- Vicki