Re: OpenGL and cygwin

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Brian Ford wrote:

> This is part of your confusion.  Cygwin proper has no OpenGL libs (ie.
> opengl32, glu32) per se.  It only has import libraries for the Window's
> ones.  (Cygwin does have a glut.dll and import lib as you have seen.)
>
> Cygwin XFree86 supplies OpenGL libs (ie. GL, GLU) via Mesa software
> emulation.
>
> > I compiled my code using
> >
> > gcc -mno-cygwin <src files> -lglut32 -lglu32 -lopengl32
> >
> Did you try it without -mno-cygwin?  You will still get your Nvidia
> OpenGL libs, but will be subject to Cygwin's license.
>
> > the code compiles correctly, and does not run, giving the error I
> > indicated earlier.
> >
> Maybe this is because you are getting Cygwin's glut import lib even when
> using Nvidia's glut?  Just a guess.

So I compiled without -mno-cygwin. According to cygcheck, I get the
correct dlls (dump enclosed below). This time the program runs silently,
and exits without popping up a window and with no errors. From
appropriately placed print statements, it appears that the program is
having trouble creating a window with glutCreateWindow and appears to die
silently before completing that step (or just after).

As I mentioned earlier, I will try to create a pared-down version that
recreates the problem: might be easier to circulate the src then, if
anyone wants to try their hand at compiling it...

euclid 8:00pm [3d_diameter]> cygcheck main.exe
Found: .\main.exe
main.exe
  C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNEL32.dll
      C:\WINDOWS\System32\ntdll.dll
  C:\WINDOWS\System32\GLU32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\msvcrt.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\OPENGL32.dll
      C:\WINDOWS\System32\ADVAPI32.dll
        C:\WINDOWS\System32\RPCRT4.dll
      C:\WINDOWS\System32\GDI32.dll
        C:\WINDOWS\System32\USER32.dll
      C:\WINDOWS\System32\DDRAW.dll
        C:\WINDOWS\System32\DCIMAN32.dll
  .\glut32.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\WINMM.dll

Suresh Venkatasubramanian, Ph: 973 360 8951 (o)
Member, Technical Staff    Web: http://www.research.att.com/~suresh/
AT&T Shannon Labs

"The guitar is the ideal instrument for anyone who is able to love loneliness." --Angelo Gilardino