Re: Problem making rxvt

Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, David A. Cobb wrote:

    Next experiment is to cd into the source tree to do the build: the
    example does show "./configure".
    THIS IS STILL A BUG! Building from inside is, in fact, discouraged,
    IIRC, in the Autotools references.

You can try using lndir. I use it when builddir != srcdir
doesn't work.

OK, one more thing to look up :-(. Anyway, I changed my build script to do --
<quote>
( cd $SRCDIR ; ./configure . . . && make ) 2>&1 | tee build.log
That did, indeed, avoid the infinite recursion on the make. Still not a success, but things are looking up.

Anyway, I think only packages that use Automake are supposed to
work without it. The others that only use Autoconf may or not.
rxvt doesn't entirely. On Linux CVS failed for me making the
man page (I had Yodl installed).

My remaining problems look like this:

Each compilation includes the warning:
<quote>
ignoring duplicate directory "/usr/local/include"
as it is a non-system directory that duplicates a system directory
ignoring duplicate directory "/usr/X11R6/include"
</quote>
However, the later output of "Include path" does include the /usr/local/include. I guess the question is, 'what is the basis for gcc concluding that /u /l /i "duplicates a system directory. It is, in fact,
a couple of items from /usr/include, with modifications to avoid some compiler warnings. I do not get the warnings I
was trying to avoid, so I will assume the "ignoring duplicate directory . . ." is specious. I really detest specious warnings because they're so damn hard to get rid of.

At the end of a long linker pass I get:
<quote>
(/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.dll.a)d000000.o
(/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.dll.a)d001246.o
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Reaping losing child 0x10039ea0 PID 6576
make[1]: *** [rxvt] Error 1
Failed to remake target file `rxvt'.
Giving up on target file `allbin'.
Giving up on target file `all'.
make[1]: Target `all' not remade because of errors.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Superbiskit/Build/rxvt/rxvt-2.7.10/src'
GNU Make 3.80
Updating makefiles....
Considering target file `Makefile'.
No need to remake target `Makefile'.
</quote>
And, indeed, rxvt(.exe) is not made. To me, that means this `make` run was a failure.

But the very end of the run shows:
<quote>
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Superbiskit/Build/rxvt/rxvt-2.7.10/src/graphics'
GNU Make 3.80
Updating makefiles....
Considering target file `Makefile'.
No need to remake target `Makefile'.
Updating goal targets....
Considering target file `all'.
File `all' does not exist.
Must remake target `all'.
Successfully remade target file `all'.
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/Superbiskit/Build/rxvt/rxvt-2.7.10/src/test'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Superbiskit/Build/rxvt/rxvt-2.7.10/src/test'
Successfully remade target file `all'.
Must remake target `first_rule'.
Successfully remade target file `first_rule'.
</quote>

So, it seems there are a few things amiss about this `make` setup.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.