Re: Really big files?

Greg Freemyer wrote:

> I just tried to dd the first 163 GB of a raw drive to a image file.
>
> It failed at about 145 GB.  Should it work?
>
> I had plenty of free space.
>
> I'm using cygwin.dll ver. 1.5.5 and a recent dd  (I think, see cygcheck -s output).
>
> === Session Log
> $ mount -f -b //./physicaldrive2 /dev/todds

Just a completely random guess here:  Is 'physicaldrive2' an active
system drive?  IIRC there are some parts of windows that cannot be read
by anything but the kernel itself, such as the SAM database (or
something along those lines.)  If this is the case then you'd have to do
the image when the partition is not active.  I don't know how or if
tools like Ghost get around this.

Brian