Re: Here's a revised SSMTP

Hi Jeff,

while I appreciate the work you've put into this project, I don't think
it's the way to go to stick with the current version of ssmtp and only
change it that much for Cygwin.

The mainline version of ssmtp is currently 2.60.4 (see
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles) and I think it would be a
good idea trying to keep in sync with mainline and to submit patches back
to mainline (something I myself haven't done, admittedly).

Since you seem to be way more interested in using and maintaining ssmtp,
I'm offering to step back as maintainer so that you can step forward and
take over.  I guess that would be in everyone's interest.

Thanks,
Corinna

On Dec 20 20:19, Jeff wrote:
> Looks like SSMTP has been getting some attention lately. It's
> definitely the thing to use, when you don't want a full-blown MTA. I've
> done some significant rewriting, so I'm attaching a tar.bz2 because
> it's actually smaller than a patch would be. Here're some of the
> changes I've made:
>
> If your mail server requires authenticatiion (like mine), you can now
> put your userid and password in the config file. Of course, I'm sure
> that no one wants such info in the clear in a text file, so I wrote a
> little utility to encode it, and incorporated that utility into the
> config file generator script. You can still put your userid and
> password on the command line, if you wish.
>
> Added a bit of code to explicitly handle <CRLF> line terminators in the
> input stream, as per an earlier thread. Shouldn't matter now what mount
> strategy you're using, how your MUA hands off an outgoing message to
> SSMTP, etc.
>
> Implemented dynamic memory allocation for the headers and recipient
> list buffers. These can now be any size up to available memory.
>
> Swatted a few bugs (eg. a malloc() without a free()), merged and
> simplified a few functions, reorganized the code so you can read it and
> actually figure out what's going on, and pretty much brought everything
> up to ANSI C.
>
> I think there were some other things but it's been a while since I last
> worked on it.
>
> TO DO:
>
> I caught the comma at the end of a string of recipients thing that
> Robert Schneck mentioned (because my old MUA does that), but not where
> it clips short the list. I'll get around to looking at his fix and
> sticking it in, if he doesn't do it first.
>
> I wasn't sure and I've been putting it off, but tonight I checked:
> SSMTP doesn't strip out the Bcc: header before sending the message.
> Chances are that your mail server doesn't do it either, which means
> that it's not Blind.
>
> Anyway, it seems pretty stable to me, but I'm not sure I've checked out
> everything. I'm interested to hear what people think of it. And I'll
> leave it to the maintainer to decide if it gets a new version number.
> :)
>
> Jeff

> --

Red Hat, Inc.