Re: Windows find.exe crashes during Cygwin setup

Regarding my previous post (failure to install Cygwin), I discovered the problem. Maybe it's obvious to others, but I thought that I'd share it here in case it could help anyone. It turns out that the system I used to download the packages already had a version of Cygwin installed on it. So when I downloaded the packages, any packages that were still current on that system were not downloaded by setup, and then when I copied the files to the system I was actually installing on, there were of course missing packages (like grep, cat, and others...).

BTW, Under the Question "How do I just get everything?," the FAQ states that "At the "Select Packages" screen, in "Categories" view, at the line marked "All", click on the word "default" so that it changes to "install". (Be patient, there is some computing to do at this step. It may take a second or two to register the change.) This tells Setup to install everything, not just what it thinks you should have by default." ---- As it turns out this doesn't exactly tell setup to install _everything_(from what I can see), but rather tells setup to install everything _that you don't have already_. In order to get around this, I simply renamed my c:\cygwin directory to something else temporarily in order to "trick" setup into thinking that I really did need everything.

Well I wonder if there is already a really obvious way to do this with setup that I was just missing.

Regards,
Yonatan

Hello,

I'm encountering a problem while trying to install Cygwin on a Window XP box from a local >directory of packages. Several times during the setup procedure, Windows pops up an error >message informing me that the Windows find.exe utility has encountered a problem and needs to >be closed. Needless to say, I'm left with a broken installation afterwards, with missing files and >libraries, no user profile, broken links, etc. I downloaded the package from a few different mirrors, >but can't seem to get through the setup procedure without receiving these errors. Any ideas? >I've searched the archives, faq, net, etc, and didn't find any reference to such a problem. Any >help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Yonatan