Question about ash and getopts

I know this is a pseudo-FAQ, but I haven't been able to find a clear enough
answer in the archives.

1.  Is it not the case that POSIX provides a specification for the getopts
builtin?
2.  Doesn't ash, as originally written, implement getopts?

I'm trying to figure out why this feature was removed, and I've never gotten
an answer that made much sense.  Every other POSIX-like system I can think
of supports getopts in /bin/sh.  Why is Cygwin different?

-s