Using authentication under Apache for Cygwin

Andrew DeFaria ADeFaria@Salira.com
Tue Sep 30 21:40:00 GMT 2003

S. L. wrote:

> [...]
>
>> # Secure addbug form
>> <Directory "//sonscentral/users/adefaria/www/Internal/Release/addbug/">
>> AuthName "permission to add a bug"
>> AuthType Basic
>> AuthUserFile /etc/apache/addbug_users
>> Require valid-user
>> </Directory>
>>
>> However that fails to work.
>
> [...]
>
> An "AllowOverride AuthConfig" directive, must also be placed. E.g.
>
> <Directory "/your/directory/here">
> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
> AllowOverride AuthConfig
> order deny,allow
> allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> and placing all authentication stuff in .htaccess, should do it.

Actually my <Directory /> had AllowOverried all. I tried:

[...]

With the .htaccess file. Neither method worked. I was allowed in without
any authentication.
===
There's too much blood in my caffeine system.