Re: new snapshot with some tty/WinMe fixes

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 06:16:28PM -0500, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
>1) With the snapshot I can start cygwin programs fine and I have not observed
>any popup.

Wish I could say the same.  I am seeing the popup consistently.  At least now I
can duplicate it.  I even understand it.

>2) The regression repeated before (see original mail for more details) is still there:
>"However when using sh,
> setsid sh -c "echo hello > /dev/tty1; /bin/sleep 10; /bin/echo there > /dev/tty"
> sh and the final echo hang forever (with echo in the "O" state in ps),
> and sh cannot be terminated with kill (OK from the task manager)."

I could be wrong but I don't recall saying that I'd fixed that problem.

>3) There is another regression that I had also observed with the previous snapshot,
>but after sending my previous message: the Console is not properly freed after
>setsid when CYGWIN=notty. Programs such as inetd do not go in the background when
>starting from a command.com window or from the Windows "run" menu.
>Things are fine with CYGWIN=tty

"Go in the background" == ?

>By the way, I don't understand why open_fhs is modified in the slave tty and ctty
>code. The only purpose I see in open_fhs is to free the console at the right time.
>Why should the presence of a slave tty, possibly connected to an entirely different
>console window, impact on the local console? (this is not a new issue).

You're right.  This is not a new issue.  It's even been discussed before.  I don't
know if it was in private email between me and Corinna but since you apparently
haven't searched for any past discussion, I'll be lazy and assume it was
discussed in cygwin-developers.

cgf