Re: rsync/cygwin can't handle filenames with some character set

At 08:41 PM 1/13/2004, Dylan Cuthbert you wrote:
>Actually, the problem I was having with rsync/cygwin and codepages was
>caused by cygwin's modification of file paths, ie. some Japanese encodings
>can cause a filename to have three backslashes (when viewed in Japanese it
>doesn't of course) in it.
>
>Cygwin seemed to be kicking in when it saw the backslashes to try and map
>windows drive shares or something like that.
>
>In the end I gave up and changed what I was doing to remain on linux and
>ended up using cygwin only for the very final stage (it is an automated
>backup system).

Yes the Cygwin Windows to POSIX path mapping code uses the occurrence of
backslash in the path as an indicator that it's a Windows path.  I
guess this would be a PTC situation, assuming you cannot use "mount"
to mask the problem in some way.

Holliston, MA 01746